DVD Україна · Форум цінителів якісної відеопродукції

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » DVD Україна · Форум цінителів якісної відеопродукції » Техника » Momitsu BDP-899 Region Free Blu-ray player

Momitsu BDP-899 Region Free Blu-ray player

Сообщений 1 страница 4 из 4

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/hardwarer … dp-899.htm

BDP-899 (modified) Region FREE Blu-ray player
REVIEW!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/4alexf/Sound%20Design/MomitsuBDP-899RegionFreeBlu-rayp-5.jpg

A REGION-FREE Blu-ray player has been sought after at the very beginning of this new high-definition format. In case you were unaware, the Blu-ray Association allowed for the division of geographic region codes for Blu-ray discs. You can see how the three areas (A, B + C) are divided HERE. The coding denies the consumer the right to purchase Blu-ray discs anywhere in the world for playability on his standard Blu-ray player. Just as with the DVD format though - hardware companies have developed technology to overcome the disc's software coding. This essentially allows individuals the freedom to choose the films (and specific transfers) from anywhere - not solely based the region in which they happen to reside

Through my ListServ I had heard positive reviews of the Kogan 'region-free' Blu-ray player HERE, which aside from, not surprisingly, being 'Sold Out' was only shippable to consumers in Australia. So I was unable to purchase one. 

Momitsu is a Taiwanese company with an excellent reputation and history of both innovative features and satisfied customers.  I have used their modified (by HKFlix) BDP-899 for over a week now and while I continue testing I am extremely impressed.  It plays everything I have put in it from 'A' + 'B' coded Blu-rays (I don't own a 'C') to DVDs of every region and standard (PAL + NTSC). It also plays my son's DVD-Rs without issue. I will discuss specifics below - that I noted and other functions but should state immediately that while I consider myself very knowledgeable on the technology of DVD and Blu-rays - I am no expert on hardware. Thankfully the Momitsu is a simple machine and it fulfills all my desires as a home theater devotee.

As this unit appears to have been a modified player, my review only encompasses the one sold by HKFlix HERE (or clicking the logo to the right).

I suggest to you that it may be modified as the included manual gives no mention or region-free ability of the code to unlock the regions. It also states that it won't play PAL discs (which it does) even though the website states that it can. The 'code' to unlock via the remote is included on a piece pf paper from HKFlix.

110% LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE:
HKFlix guarantees the lowest total price on this player to any destination in the USA lower-48. If you find a lower total price (price + shipping) from a Momitsu authorized dealer in the USA, please email us, and we will match it plus at least 10% of the difference.

We'll also help you get started watching films on your new Momitsu by including two free DVDs (our choice) from our massive catalog.

Momitsu BDP-899 $369.95
http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/asp/pid.176/aid.100950/qx/details.htm

Rear panel
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/4alexf/Sound%20Design/MomitsuBDP-899RegionFreeBlu-rayp-4.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/4alexf/Sound%20Design/MomitsuBDP-899RegionFreeBlu-rayp-3.jpg

What I did first:

• Take it out of the box - plug it in via HDMI and the power cord. Turn on player and my HD TV (NOTE: It only comes with RCA cables - no HDMI).

• I used the remote to change the OSD (set-up menu and display language) from default Japanese to English (the bottom choice) via the onscreen menu (this, and all instructions, are in the manual included in the package or HERE).

• Set TV aspect ratio to 16:9 (may have been default). Choices include 16:9PB, 4:3LB and 4:3PS.

• I changed Digital Output (audio) - default was PCM Stereo - to Bitstream HD (DD+, TrueHD or DTS-HD) via the onscreen menu.

• NOTE: TV Type is defaulted to NTSC but can be changed to PAL.

• With no disc in the tray I set the region code to Blu-ray B (973522) via the remote. It works with the code 9735DB where D = the desired DVD region code and B = the desired Blu-ray code (1=A, 2=B, 3=C)

• I then watched BFI's Blu-ray of Antonioni's Red Desert.

• How did it look? Excellent - far better than when I projected for my review (via cheap BenQ) and colors where noticeably brighter.

• Next, as I had simultaneously set the DVD region coding for 2 - I tried to play Arte (France) DVD of The Scent of Green Papaya. As this DVD is not anamorphic I had adjust via the menu system to 4:3LB. It likewise looked better than I ever recall seeing it before although it was understandably pictureboxed on my HD TV.

• Next I played Masters of Cinema's Metropolis DVD. I had to change the menu system to 4:3PB. It looked unbelievable. Contrast was intense.

• I then tested the audio settings. Superman Returns on Blu-ray has a prominent HD track (right in the opening credits) so I tested this and heard the separation I was seeking.

• I plugged in a USB key-chain device in the front and, after some menu screen fiddling, watched a slideshow of family photos on my HD TV. It has transitions between photos. Cool!

• Since then I have tested various DVDs and Blu-rays - all looking exceptional. Perhaps because of the 'HDMI Deep Color' feature which some may wish to change their TV setting to tone down a bit.     

Although this machine does support BD-LIVE I don't connect any of my players to the Internet to use or test that function.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/4alexf/Sound%20Design/MomitsuBDP-899RegionFreeBlu-rayp-2.jpg

Other advertised features:

Upconverts DVD for enhanced picture quality
Your current DVD will look even better than before thanks to video upconversion. Upconversion will increase the resolution of standard definition DVD to high definition up to 1080p over an HDMI connection. The picture will be less jagged and more realistic for a near high-definition experience.

PIP
Some BD-video have the PIP (picture-in-picture) function which enables you to display the secondary video in the primary video. You can call up the secondary video by pressing [PIP] whenever the scene contains the secondary video.

Multi file type support
Playback Blu-Ray Disc, DVD, VCD, CD, MP3, MP4, HD files and JPEG Picture CD Media formats

USB 2.0
USB2.0 port for external devices such as Card Readers, USB Flash Drives, or USB Hard Disks.

WHAT I LIKED

Plays every disc I have tried - any region Blu-ray, any region or standard (PAL or NTSC) DVD

Supports separated HD audio (PCM Stereo, PCM 5.1 Channel, PCM 7.1 channel, Bitstream HD which can include DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD) through HDMI

It plays DVD-R discs (even dual-layered)

I LOVE the USB 2.0 feature of slideshows, video etc.

Appears to load noticeably faster than my Sony 300S

Simple set-up

Price seems reasonable (I paid more for my region-locked, slow-loading Sony than I did for this)

This player is Profile 2.0 - 'Future Proof'.

POSSIBLE NEGATIVES

Some may dislike the manual region-coding input (6 digits) but as a reviewer I don't mind as I can use it to tell me the code status of the Blu-ray. People are frequently requesting if I know if said Blu-ray disc is region-free or locked - I had no definitive way of knowing until now. I set the player for an alternate region and if it plays it is a region free disc!

Cannot change region-coding with a disc in the tray - it must be closed and empty.

You must be more pro-active with the remote and onscreen player menu than I have had to utilize with past players.

INPUT

Dirk tells us in email "I also purchased this player and I put the DVD region code to "0" and it played every region coded DVD I tried (R2s from Germany, England and Japan). This way I only have to change the code for Blu-Rays or if I have one of the old RCE DVDs."

Aaron tells us via Facebook: "Hey Gary, I would like to thank you for reviewing the Momitsu BDP-899, I've had the machine for a few weeks now and I like it a whole lot. The only thing that I really hate about the player is it's inability to display a film's total running time, which is annoying."

David tells us in email "Gary - I've lived with the Momitsu for some time now and, other than that initial bit of contrariness I reported (solved simply by unplugging and replugging), performance has been flawless. To watch a UK Region 2 Blu-Ray of "Gommora", I had only to tap in the appropriate numbers on the remote. Everything has played without a hitch and, I think, with visual and auditory quality the equal of - and maybe better than - my other Blu-Ray players. And, you're correct, it DOES load faster than my Sony's. It has become my primary, go-to machine."

YES - it does play PAL extras on Blu-rays (example Black Narcissus and Man on Wire)

NOTE: It re-sets back to Blu-ray 'A' after being shut-off and turned back-on.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/4alexf/Sound%20Design/MomitsuBDP-899RegionFreeBlu-rayp-1.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/4alexf/Sound%20Design/MomitsuBDP-899RegionFreeBlu-rayplay.jpg

非常有用的信息

Romper Stomper написал(а):

非常有用的信息

Romper Stomper, пожалуйста точнее выражайте свои мысли  :angry: что это за закарлючки?!?!!? :angry:

AlexF написал(а):

О, тайваньцы подсуетились, молодцы! Правда, машинка эта довольно урезана (даже возможности апгрейда чего-то не указывают), но лиха беда начало! Хм, поюзать бы его самому, что он представляет на самом деле...

Вы здесь » DVD Україна · Форум цінителів якісної відеопродукції » Техника » Momitsu BDP-899 Region Free Blu-ray player